Monday, February 20, 2012

Umm, You Choose The Wrong Song!

Sometimes I don't think advertisers consider the songs they are using in a commercial. They seem to just like the music for it but I don't think they pay attention to what the song is about or what the words are. I thought of this topic when I saw the recent Hyundai commercial.

1. Hyundai - Salt 'n Pepa "Push It"


The commercial is cute because of the animals, I'll give it that. But when it comes to a car commercial, this is the last song I would think of:

"Salt and Pepa's here, and we're in effect
Want you to push it, babe

Coolin' by day then at night working up a sweat
C'mon girls, let's go show the guys that we know
How to become number one in a hot body show
Now push it
Ah, push it - push it good
Ah, push it - push it real good"

OK, maybe they are saying you will have to push the car. Push it real good!

2. Wendy's - Violent Femme's "Blister In The Sun"





So, apparently when these advertisers think of Wendy's they think masturbation. Because, umm, that's what the song is about:

"Body and beats, I stain my sheets -- I don't even know why
My girlfriend, she's at the end -- she is starting to cry
Let me go on... like I blister in the sunLet me go on... big hands, I know you're the one"

Mmm.. Wendy's. Is that really mayo you're using?

3. Nissan - The Smiths "How Soon Is Now"





This is exactly what I want to hear when watching a car commercial:

"There's a club, if you'd like to go 
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your ownAnd you leave on your own 
And you go home 
And you cry 
And you want to die"

What the fuck does this song have to do with a car commercial?! Tell me, Nissan, please?

4. Pepsi - Rolling Stones "Brown Sugar"




Yeah, it's an old commercial but still not a good song choice. Brown Sugar is not a literal song, Pepsi! It's about selling slaves and having sex with a young girl:

"Brown sugar how come you taste so good, now? 
Brown sugar just like a young girl should, now 
Ah, get along, brown sugar how come you taste so good, baby? 
Ah, got me feelin' now, brown sugar just like a black girl should"

Wow Pepsi, just wow. What were you thinking? 

5. Royal Caribbean - Iggy Pop "Lust For Life"




Everything about this song for this commercial is just wrong. You be the judge:

"Here comes Johnny Yen again
With the liquor and drugs
And the flesh machine
He's gonna do another strip tease.
Hey man, where'd ya get that lotion?"

I don't even need to quote more of the song. I'm pretty sure you see the problem here.

1 comment:

  1. O.o OMG, I'm so glad someone has pointed this out. You should do PSAs! :)

    ReplyDelete